Hey lovely people! I hope you’ve had a lovely week so far! St. Patrick’s Day coming up, there’s going to be a lot of green splashed about, so I thought I would do something in aid of all the impending shenanigans. Last year I made a lot more food-based prettiness, so this time it’s going to be more crafty fun. We’re going to be checking out the parade on Sunday for the first time since being in London and I know for a fact that I’m going to have to sport something ludicrously green… all in the name of some fun and laughter, I guess! ;)
Anyway, this week’s DIY tutorial is a cute little felt banner with one of my favourite Irish quotes….although I’ve taken the original and tweaked the “I’m” to “he’s” as a tongue-in-cheek being I’m married to an Irishman. To be honest, I was going to make this for a t-shirt I thought I’d wear on Sunday but decided to make the banner instead half way through cutting the letters. I’ll probably use fabric paint to create the t-shirt later. So here’s what you need for this project:
- Crafting felt (a green one for either the letters or the background or two shades of green for both)
- Adhesive (glue gun or fabric glue)
- Dowel or a BBQ skewer (forgot to include that in the image below)
- Free hand draw out the letters of your desired quote (you can pick from “Kiss me, I’m Irish“, “Luck of the Irish“, “I’m your lucky charm“) directly onto the felt, using a fine-nibbed pen. It really doesn’t matter if it’s not perfect. It’s all about the handmade charm!
- Cut the letters out using a pair of scissors.
- Place the letters roughly onto your background felt sheet (mine was A4 in size) so you get a good idea how it’s aligned.
- Stick the felt letters down using either fabric glue or glue gun. Make sure the glue is applied neatly to avoid any stringy mess!
- Take a piece of dowel or BBQ skewer and cut it to fit the width of the felt sheet. Once cut to size, tie the twine at both ends once you’ve figured out how long you want it. I cut mine to roughly 40-50cm in length. Then apply some glue gun (for this part, the glue gun is better than fabric glue) along the length of the dowel and press it gently against the reverse side of the felt. And that’s all there is to it!
Now all you got to do is find a place to hang the lovely banner – this one i’ve made is currently hanging up in our kitchen. You should have seen my husband’s face when he saw it ;) I may have to take it out with me on Sunday or perhaps have the same quote on a t-shirt or a placard. :D Anyway, I hope you have fun with whatever you choose to do. It is super quick to make and you don’t really need a lot to make it. If you don’t have felt, then try it with card. Happy crafting and don’t forget to share any of your creations with me and add the hashtag #craftwithmolu with your images! xxx