Okay folks, so this week’s tutorial is ridiculously simple and I’m excited to share it. I’ve actually been meaning to do these personalised napkins aaaaages back when I had some friends over for lunch (and another time for dinner) but in both instances, I end up completely forgetting about it despite being on my list of things-to-do (my mind is like a sieve these days, I tell you!!) So, I’ve finally got round to them and even remembered to take some shots to make it into a tutorial! Seriously, it takes like 15minutes of your time!!
- Ink Stamp or Fabric Paint (sorry, I realised I got the wrong ink pad in the photo below but it’s the FABRIC one you need)
- Rubber stamps of all the alphabets
- Plain white or plain coloured linen napkins (of course, you can do them on paper ones too)
- Think of a few ‘food’ or ‘eating’ related phrases and pick out your letters for them. Take one letter at a time and dab it onto your ink pad. Do make sure you check to see if you don’t have a lot of excess ink around the edges before stamping your napkins as you don’t want big outline edges around your letters. If you do, just use facial or baby wipes to clean and give the outer edges of the stamp a quick wipe.
- Once ready, place it carefully onto your napkin and ever so gently press down for a couple of seconds before lifting it up to reveal your first letter!
- Continue on until all your napkins are stamped. Do remember to think first how long the phrase will be and the placement of it.
- Once they are all done, leave it aside for 5-10 minutes until it dries properly. And then run a hot iron over it on the reverse side, i.e don’t iron directly on the inked area and please turn the steam OFF. Ironing, will set the ink a bit more so that it lasts a good few washes!
And there you have it folks! Some pretty effective napkins with a personalised, handmade touch. It will be perfect for out door dining and all those picnics and BBQs you’ll be having this summer! You can have colourful bold inks on plain neutral coloured napkins to make it even more summery or vice versa. And of course, they’d also look AMAZING for a rustic barn weddings or garden parties…..where you can double them up as place names! And because it’s so quick, simple and effective, it won’t be overly time consuming if you want to do them in large numbers! Oooh…you can even opt for lots of bold coloured shapes across the entire napkin.
Anyway, go crazy and have fun! The choices are endless. If you give this ago, please do share them on my Facebook page or Twitter so I can revel in all your creativeness!!! Just remember to hashtag it with #CraftwithMolu, if you do!